Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Three Realizations

Ric Elias was in seat 1D of the airplane that crashed into the Hudson River just about two years ago. The plane was leaving Manhatten and the skyline was still in sight when the piolet turned to the Hudson turned the plane engine off and told everyone the unkind words "brace for impact". In the minutes the plane was free falling into the Hudson Ric Elias realized three things, he no longer wants to postpone anything in his life, he regretted wasting time on things that did not matter with people that did matter, and finally dying is not scary, it's the thing's he could miss out on that were scary. At the end of his short 5min talk he challenged everyone to imagine that they were on a plane that was about to crash, what would their three realizations be? So I took the challenge, which is kind of hard at 15. My First realization would be I never said enough, I never said everything I wanted to when I was sad or mad. I never said the things that I was afraid to say. My next realization is that I held on to things for too long. I never let things go so those things just kept haunting me. My final realization is that even though some things seem unnecessary they were and all the things my teachers made me do were worth it. At the end of the day I will know that I learned something important and worth while.
Ric Elias had a very good speaking style he spoke fluently and had a couple light hearted joke in the midst of it all. What mattered to him was that he really wanted to be there for his kids, it was the fortunes he had that made his days good. It is incredible to me that in about a 6 minute TED talk someone can really make an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment