Monday, May 2, 2011

Dave Eggers: His wish

Dave Eggers, might be one of the most genius poeple on this planet. He saw something that needed to be done and he went for and did it. I am simply in awe of the brilliance of what his talk was about. It's just like finally someone who gets it! I know from my personal experience that I just feel better after talking to a teacher one on one than getting basic instruction from the entire class. I know that English is not my strong point and every time I receive a project I worry about it so much that I cannot even function correctly enough to do a really good job on it. But if I had a real writer a genuine critic at my disposal at all times I know I would do so much better. Also I know I had troubles writing from prompts that I basically didn't really care about what so ever. But I just get this feeling that if I were to be involved in this program I would not only get to write about things that I care about but also start to care about the things that I have to write about.
Dave Eggers has a wish that all people start engaging in public schools. He and some of his friends started a tutoring company in San Fransisco. They bought a building space but it was in a retail part of town so in order to keep their space they had to sell something, so they decided to sell pirate gear, basically everything someone would need to be the stereotypical pirate. Which I just think is incredible like seriously who does and or thinks of something like that. He then proceeded to talk about the tutoring company and how writers would work throughout the day on their projects and then once school was let out the students would come to the store and the writers would give up their time to work with the students personally and side by side. Once the company started growing, more volunteers started joining in and soon enough there where enough volunteers to start working in the schools so that entire schools. And then more tutoring companies started all over the country. Even though Dave Eggers was a little all over the place his talk was still very good.
The whole point of all of this is creating a way for students to be heard from their teachers and the world. By providing one on one help to students it is now possible for more students to be able to achieve more in writing and literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment